About the Redistricting Act:
On April 6, 2021, Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham signed Senate Bill 304 (55th Legis., 1st Sess. 2021). Senate Bill 304 includes the Redistricting Act. The Redistricting Act creates the Citizen Redistricting Committee (CRC or Committee), which is comprised of major party members and non-major party members. The State Ethics Commission has the responsibility to select the Chair of the Committee, who must be a retired Justice of the New Mexico Supreme Court or a retired Court of Appeals Judge, and two non-major party members. To view a copy of the Redistricting Act, click here.
The application period is now open for the Chair and non-major party positions. The Commission is reaching out to individuals, organizations, and networks across the state to identify people who are interested in serving as members of the Citizen Redistricting Committee. If you are interested in serving as a member of the Citizen Redistricting Committee, please complete the Commission’s application survey below, or linked here.
*Please note that application materials submitted the Commission are public records. The Commission plans to make available the names of qualified applicants after the application period closes.
Timeline of Application Process:
- April 7, 2021 – the application period opens.
- May 21, 2021 – the application period will close.
- May 26, 2021 – The State Ethics Commission’s Executive Director will provide the Commissioners with a short list of applicants selected for interviews for the two non-major party positions. The Director will also provide the Commissioners with a list of all retired New Mexico Supreme Court Justices and retired Court of Appeals Judges who apply for the Chair position.
- May 31, 2021 – the State Ethics Commission’s agenda for the June 4 Commission meeting will be available to the public, thereby publicizing the list of applicants selected for interviews.
- June 4, 2021 – the State Ethics Commissioners will conduct interviews of applicants during the Commission meeting and make final selections of the non-major party members and the Chair.
- July 1, 2021 – The Redistricting Act becomes effective. The State Ethics Commission’s General Counsel will administer the oath of office for the three members that the Commission appoints.
Apply to serve on the Citizen Redistricting Committee here: https://www.sec.state.nm.us/2021/04/07/citizen-redistricting-committee-info-page/